London Fashionista Blog

Sunday 2 August 2009

COCO avant CHANEL




Coco avant Chanel was finally screened in London from Friday. I watched it at the Barbican Theatre and it really moved me. Apart from her very inspiring determination, I didn't realise she had a very difficult and heartbreaking early life that I can almost relate to, although I can still say I am still luckier in my childhood days.


Gabrielle is considered to be one of the bravest women during her time, not just in fashion but in dealing with her whole life. She changed women's style dramatically in the 1900s and upto now, her style still cuts above the rest despite it's simplicity. Indeed, less is more!


I noticed though that it is quite common amongst designers or innovators to rise when their creation is worn by a celebrity, unless otherwise they are loaded and can spend a fortune on PR and Marketing. But then again, creativity is also important.


I guess Coco was lucky to have lived in the earlier era when there weren't a lot of competition as compared now. To be able to survive these days, there are so many things to remember and think about especially in Marketing, apart from being mega creative!


I can say though that Word of Mouth is still the most powerful Marketing tool that's been proven throughout generations. Remember, during Coco Chanel's time, there was no Facebook and Twitter! No such thing as Guerilla and Viral Marketing - lol! So, Word of mouth it was and it is still.
I don't remember buying any Chanel item other than cosmetics and fragrance because they were too expensive for me. But now I think I wouldn't mind owning something that was started by an icon, by a woman I truly admire.... Shall I get a wallet, clutch or necklace?